Dedicated to improving the lives of the Elderly
Lions Home for the Elders understands the importance of providing quality care for the elderly in Singapore and offers residential services for the destitute, frail and aged sick.
A voluntary welfare organization that is one of the first few nursing homes to be accredited as an Approved Service Provider by the Ministry of Health, Lions Home for the Elders strives to provide residents with a sense of dignity and maximum independence possible while they are receiving medical and nursing care and undergoing rehabilitation.
Unsolicited Fundraising Calls to Companies
We received much feedback from concerned companies that they have been receiving telephone calls from an unidentified lady claiming to be engaging in fundraising for Lions Home For The Elders. We, at Lions Home DO NOT engage in these unsolicited calls to companies. We take a serious view of this misrepresentation of the Home and will not hesitate to highlight to the Police for further investigation. Please be assured that we will always identify ourselves, without demand, to our donors and partners when making calls to companies.
WISHLIST - Updated 20 May 2013
Many of you would like to donate food and miscellaneous items to the Lions Home and are not sure what is required. Below is a list of items which would always be useful.
Do try to deliver items during office hours (9am-6pm) on weekdays (Mon-Fri) when we have staff on duty to receive and record the donated items. If possible, please include the receipts for our auditing purpose.
- Boneless chicken leg and parts (Fresh/Frozen)
- Boneless fish fillets (Fresh/Frozen)
- Finger food (Nuggets/chicken franks/ crab meat stick/ breaded scallop/ ghor hiang roll)
- Fresh Vegetables (Chye Sim/ Spinach/ Cabbage/ Bean sprouts)
- Fresh Fruits (Papaya/ Watermelon/ Banana/ Fresh fruit puree)
- White Rice
- Yellow noodle
- Vegetable cooking oil (the Home does not reuse the oil when preparing the residents' meals but we send the oil for recycling)
- Nespray Fortified Milk Powder refill packs (these are mixed with the Milo)
- Sponge cakes (please avoid raisins, peanuts, chocolate chips, corns as they could potentially cause the residents to choke)
- Fruit-flavoured jam
- Juice Blender
- Airpot (4.2L)
- Bath Towels (water absorbent and durable for industrial washing)
- Shampoo & Shower foam (hypoallergenic and mild ones)
- Talcum powder (hypoallergenic)
- Kitchen paper towels
- Jumbo toilet paper
- Black trash bag 48" x 36"
- White trash bag 19" x 19"
WANTED: Sponsors For Residents On Special Diets
One of the challenges in caring for the residents is to ensure that they receive sufficient nutrition in their diet as many have diminished appetites due to their medical conditions.
At Lions Home for the Elders, more than 20% of the residents require nutritional supplements in their diets in addition to their regular meals. These milk powders are often added to a drink before being taken orally. For those who have difficulty swallowing or are on life support, their nutritional supplements are administered through nasogastric tubes.
These residents often require special diets for their total nutritional needs. Not all nutritional supplements are the same. ‘Ensure’ is a common nutritional drink which most of the residents who require supplements are taking. However a select few require specific non-standard nutritional supplements, such as ‘Glucerna’ powder for diabetics, as prescribed by their doctors.
The costs of these non-standard nutritional supplements range from $180-$350 per month which is beyond the means of some of the family members and those on public assistance. At the moment, the Home has nine cases of residents who are experiencing financial difficulties due to the high cost of these supplements and require long term sponsors (of at least 6 months) to assist them.
|Training & Education|
The Lions Home for the Elders has been approved as an Institution of a Public Character (IPC) from 27/04/2011 to 26/04/2014.
All cash donations are eligible for tax-exemptions.